Thursday, June 9, 2011

I'm Rich! Rich!


Me and the Benjamins

I have great news to share! Through no real credit of my own I’ve just learned that I am going to receive 2.5 million dollars! It’s hard to believe, but it’s true. Dale will probably quit work and we may buy a little place at the beach. I just can’t believe how wonderfully fortunate we are. Two and a half million is a lot of money. Life is really going to be different now.

I just got an email from Mrs. Veronica Amadi. I don’t know how this happened, but there is a fund in my name at the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). I know what you’re thinking, but you’re wrong. This is no scam. Mrs. Amadi has assured me that it is all legitimate. She is reaching out to me because she is a Christian. All I have to do is send a few hundred dollars to cover some paperwork. Seems reasonable to me!

Upon further reflection, I won’t spend any of this money just yet. When it all comes through, though, I’ll be happy to buy you lunch.

The fact is, we tend to overestimate what money can do for us. Paul reminds us that contentment is a gift from God, not something accomplished by circumstances. “I've learned to be content in whatever situation I’m in. I know how to live in poverty or prosperity. No matter what the situation, I’ve learned the secret of how to live when I’m full or when I’m hungry, when I have too much or when I have too little. I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me” (Ph. 4:11-13,GW).

When is enough enough?

Probably sooner than you think.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I got the same letter you did! Wow!! I've got a great idea!

    When our money comes in let's get together, you and Dale, Harry and me! Let's go find ourselves that new wardrobe we will need for our new public images, take that trip to Europe we've been putting off! And then when we come back home let's buy that larger house we think we need, get that bigger better car so our friends will be impressed, and put in that inground pool we've dreamed of! And oh, just think, how many wonderful grownup toys we can buy with that windfall of money huh? Everyone needs a big screen TV, don't you think? LOL

    In the past year I've learned many lessons but the most important one has been PEACE. Peace in my circumstances, whatever they may be, peace in my faith in my loving Savior, peace deep inside that spurs me on to look forward and try never to look back. The past is over, tomorrow hasn't come yet. All I have is today. I am working on living every day with a sense of peace no matter what. I am a work in progress and very, very thankful that Papa God is still making me into the person He created me to become.

    Lynne Hagan

    ReplyDelete